An Excerpt from our Script of “We Shouldn’t be Alive”

It was an ordinary day in Hvar Town, Croatia. The weather was overcast and being too early in summer and not hot enough to warrant a visit to the beach, Daniel and I put on our walking shoes and decides to take the coastal trek to the next town named Milna.

Everything started out well. The walk was difficult but nothing we couldn’t handle. I took photos along the way to show where we were walking and the lovely scenery that surrounded us. We walked along rock fronts of the coast, rocky paths under huge pine trees and even walked past a few secluded, and sometimes nudist, beaches.


20120610-170558.jpgWith the fresh sea air hitting our faces we felt revitalised as we made our way to the next town.

When we arrived in Milna, there wasn’t much to do so we didn’t spend too long at our destination. After admiring the view of another beach and resting our legs, we decided to take off again back to Hvar Town.


Someone told us of an alternative path to take home, one quicker and easier than the one we had just completed so we aimed to find that path. After some searching, we decided it would just be quicker and easier to go back the way we came rather than wasting time finding a route we didn’t know. After trekking up the rock face to get to the start of our walk, we followed what we thought were the signs back home.

Soon, we found ourselves not recognising the scenery around us. Both of us told each other that we didn’t remember seeing that tree before, or the barbed wire fence or the abandoned caravan with the two smashed up cars out the front. Even so, we had come too far to go back and there were still little signs every now and then telling us we were going in the direction of a town. What town? Who knows.


Daniel was adamant that we were going the right way, that we just had to keep walking. By this stage however, we had hit what felt like the desert. We had run out of water. There was swarms of beetles, crickets, locusts and other unidentified creatures flying at our faces, waiting for us to die so they could feed on our flesh. Every step was getting more painful as the rocks that were the path dug in to the soles of our feet. If we weren’t walking on jagged rocks, we were walking through thick grass with the threat of snakes and other animals hiding away in the bushes, waiting to make their move on us. Minutes turned in to minutes and we had been walking for at least ONE WHOLE HOUR. We started to feel like we wouldn’t make it.

We came towards what felt like a mirage, an old, run down fire station and a billboard, the first glimpses of civilization but we knew we still weren’t in the clear. As we walked down the dirt road, hoping it was leading us in to town, an angry wolf appeared in front of us, staring at both of us like we were a steak dancing on the road, waiting for him to bite. Despite the fact that this wolf was just a German Shepard and on second look he was chained quite securely to a post, it was a scary time for us as we stood as still as a statue in the middle of the road.

The down hill walk in to the town felt like true bliss. We had really achieved something. The hundreds of people that would have been worried about us having gone for a very long and excruciating 3 and a half hours could now relax. The search and rescue teams could be called to lunch. We were in the clear.

Celebrations occurred when we arrived in town. We treated ourselves to gourmet sandwiches filled with lettuce, carrot, tomato and cold meats. We even got yoghurt,strawberries and bananas as a true celebration.

Getting back to our hostel was a sweet victory. We entered the door as those who partied the night before woke up. They had been so worried for us that even though they were in bed, they swore they lay awake, hoping we would be home soon.